Definitions[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
|“||[t]he property of being genuine and being able to be verified and trusted; confidence in the validity of a transmission, a message, or message originator.||”|
|“||[t]he property that allows the ability to validate the claimed identity of a system entity.||”|
Internet[edit | edit source]
|“||[t]he sense that something or someone is "real." Blogs enable people to publish content, and engage in conversations, that show their interests and values, and so help them develop an authentic voice online.||”|
Preservation[edit | edit source]
|“||[a] mechanical characteristic of any digital object that reflects the degree of trustworthiness in the object, in that the supportive metadata accompanying the object makes it clear that the possessed object is what it purports to be.||”|
Security[edit | edit source]
|“||[a] security service that provides a user with a means of verifying the identity of the sender of a message, a file, a computer system, a software process, or even a database or individual software component.||”|
|“||validating the source of a message; i.e., that it was transmitted by a properly identified sender and is not a replay of a previously transmitted message.||”|
References[edit | edit source]
- NIST Special Publication 800-53, App. B, Glossary.
- DoD Instruction 5200.40, at 8 (E2.1.6).
- OPSEC Glossary of Terms.
- Larry Clavette, et al., ”New Media and the Air Force,” Glossary 1 (U.S. Air Force 2009) (full-text)
- Sustainable Economics for a Digital Planet: Ensuring Long-Term Access to Digital Information, at 106.
- NDSA Glossary.
- Cryptography's Role in Securing the Information Society, App. B, Glossary, at 354.
- NIST Special Publication 800-2.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Authenticated encryption
- Authenticated RFID
- Authenticated user
- Authentication code
- Authentication feature
- Authentication information
- Authentication in an Internet Banking Environment
- Authentication key
- Authentication mechanism
- Authentication mode
- Authentication of identity
- Authentication protocol
- Authentication server
- Authentication tag
- Authentication technologies
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.