Citation[edit | edit source]
Overview[edit | edit source]
The White House and the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) developed this publication to unify efforts in automated vehicles across 38 Federal departments, independent agencies, commissions, and Executive Offices of The President, providing high-level guidance to Federal agencies, innovators, and all stakeholders on the U.S. Government's posture towards AVs.
AV 4.0 presents a unifying posture to inform collaborative efforts in automated vehicles for all stakeholders and outlines past and current Federal Government efforts to address these areas of concern.
AV 4.0 establishes U.S. Government principles that consist of three core interests, each of which is comprised of several sub-areas.
- I. Protect Users and Communities
- 1. Prioritize Safety
- 2. Emphasize Security and Cybersecurity
- 3. Ensure Privacy and Data Security
- 4. Enhance Mobility and Accessibility
- II. Promote Efficient Markets
- 5. Remain Technology Neutral
- 6. Protect American Innovation and Creativity
- 7. Modernize Regulations
- III. Facilitate Coordinated Efforts
- 8. Promote Consistent Standards and Policies
- 9. Ensure a Consistent Federal Approach
- 10. Improve Transportation System-Level Effects