A perpetrator is a person who commits an unauthorized, illegal or criminal act.
"A perpetrator can have many meanings:
- The computer from which the adversarial cyber operation reached the target. Note that this computer — the one most proximate to the target — may well belong to an innocent third party that has no knowledge of the operation being conducted.
- The computer that launched or initiated the operation.
- The geographic location of the machine that launched or initiated the operation.
- The individual sitting at the keyboard of the initiating machine.
- The nation under whose jurisdiction the named individual falls (e.g., by virtue of his physical location when he typed the initiating commands).
- The entity under whose auspices the individual acted, if any."
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.