The President directed the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity to assess the state of the nation's cybersecurity, and he charged this group with developing actionable recommendations for securing the digital economy.
The Commissioners organized their findings into six major imperatives, which together contain a total of 16 recommendations and 53 associated action items.
The imperatives are:
- 1. Protect, defend, and secure today's information infrastructure and digital networks.
- 2. Innovate and accelerate investment for the security and growth of digital networks and the digital economy.
- 3. Prepare consumers to thrive in a digital age.
- 4. Build cybersecurity workforce capabilities.
- 5. Better equip government to function effectively and securely in the digital age.
- 6. Ensure an open, fair, competitive, and secure global digital economy.