Overview[edit | edit source]
The Society for Computers and Law (SCL) is the UK's leading organization concentrating on the development of the law and practice regulating IT. The SCL has over 1,500 members drawn from private practice and industry.
The objectives of the SCL include:
- to encourage the development of IT law;
- to educate and inform members of the profession, at expert, intermediate and beginner level;
- to collate and disseminate relevant information for the benefit of members and the profession;
- to provide advice and assistance to members;
- to encourage and promote liberalisation of claims to crown and parliamentary and other copyright, and the use of the Internet, to afford so far as reasonably practicable free, rapid and intelligible dissemination of the law for the benefit of all citizens;
- to provide a forum for discussion of key legal IT issues; and
- to assist disadvantaged groups, such as lawyers with disabilities, in participating in the Society's fields of activity.