SAE International, Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to On-Road Motor Vehicle Automated Driving Systems (International standard J3016) (summary).
This document delivers a harmonized classification system and supporting definitions that:
- Identify six levels of driving automation from "no automation" to "full automation".
- Base definitions and levels on functional aspects of technology.
- Describe categorical distinctions for a step-wise progression through the levels.
- Are consistent with current industry practice.
- Eliminate confusion and are useful across numerous disciplines (engineering, legal, media, and public discourse).
- Educate a wider community by clarifying for each level what role (if any) drivers have in performing the dynamic driving task while a driving automation system is engaged.